Friday 11 June 2010

6th June 2010 - The Dragon 2010

It’s sweeping generalisation I know, but most “Roadies” have a particular aversion to getting dirty, they don’t seem to do camping either! The larger Mountain Bike events usually incorporate some form of camping arrangement, sometimes with beer and entertainment too. So it was a wholly uncivilised 4:30am alarm to get to South Wales in time for an 8am start!

Joining the back of the queue at 7.45am, it felt a bit like the start of the London Marathon with 3600 entrants, 1800 of which are doing the full 120 mile course. It took nearly 45 mins to get to the start line where we set-off in groups of roughly 100 riders at 2 minute intervals.



Finally we’re off and its not long before I hooked-up with another chap whose pace was pretty similar to mine, he’s not up for any chat though so it’s a pretty silent partnership. Now I know I’ve had a fairly sheltered upbringing, but I’ve honestly never seen a Rasta on a bike! This guy had to be about 8ft tall, dwarfing his Colnago C50 and resplendent with a huge Rasta-striped knitted tea-cosy on his head, excellent! The boy was respectably quick too, and it took the first big hill of the day to shake him off, his dreadlocks probably weighing more than his bike!



Going up-hill forever is the order of the day, nothing wildly steep, just long. The first big ascent started about 15 miles in and went up steadily for 6 miles and the last at about 90 miles in, a mere 10 miles long. The payback of-course being the long descents on the other side and speeds getting close to 50mph. Cattle grids at speed still freak me out!

My plan of attack was simply to ride the whole course with no stops unless I needed to refill a bottle, which I did eventually have to do at the last feed station.

There are target times set for the event earning Bronze, Silver and Gold standards. Bronze being under 7hrs 40mins, Silver under 7hrs and Gold under 6hrs 25mins, my target was to get round in under 7hrs. So I should really be rather pleased with getting round in 6hrs 28mins 22secs but, only 3mins outside of Gold standard has honestly left me spitting feathers… maybe I should have been a bit less obedient at the traffic lights!! That 3mins also robbed me of a top 100 finish, ending-up 134th on the day.

The winner recorded a time of 5hrs 45mins, but spare a thought for the last man home who crossed the line after 10hrs 42mins… who’s the hero there then?!


No comments:

Post a Comment