Wednesday 4 August 2010

Midlands XC - Round 3 - Unstone, Derbyshire

“The Good, The Bad and the Downright Ugly”

There are two distinct sides to the people in my life these days, there are those who, if you’ll pardon the expression, “take-the-p**s” out of my lycra-wearing habits. Then there are those that are similarly amused because I don’t shave my legs!

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining, I’m quite comfortable with my lycra-clad caveman look… but I have been seriously contemplating reaching for the razor over the last couple of weeks, when you’re in injury management mode, hairy legs are fairly useless for massaging-in Ibuprofen gel or massage in general for that matter.

The last few weeks of ice, ibuprofen and much reduced riding, has meant that I haven’t been doing much (if any!) high intensity stuff, so I always knew I was going to suffer for it at the Midlands XC, and this was the last round I could attend and my last chance of getting a few more points on the board.

Just to help prove that Mountain Biking is becoming the new Golf… this round was held at a golf club and was organised in conjunction with the guys from OneFgear, and what an outstanding job. A delightful location, and a course that has to be one of the best XC Courses I’ve ridden yet. I had wanted to go to the OneFgear Singlespeed race on the Saturday, but I just couldn’t risk damaging my knee any more, not this close to Sleepless, and they would have forced me to drink beer, which always ends badly!
PostieRich and Martin in "his-and-hers" matching outfits!

It was a short but action packed lap of 3.5 miles starting with a long climb up the edge of the fairway then through the hedge and keep going up. A burst of twisty singletrack followed by a fast descent between the trees with some ditches and ramps to catch you out. A difficult and steep climb then led to a fabulous bit of downhill the A-line, steep and technical, but perfectly rideable and an easier option B, (no idea what that was like!) both culminating in a “Wall-of-Death” like berm which, I’m told rode beautifully, A hard turn left and back up the hill initially on some very slippery rocks then onto better but very steep ground, rideable, but only just. Another great bit of downhill and a fast flatish half-mile sprint back to the start… repeat 4 times.

The Race Commissaire was concerned that the start was a bit narrow for the hoard of baying “Old Gits” and stated his intention to have an orderly rolling start… yeah right! Apparently, after calling us forward, he would start the race with his “Big Horn” just after we turned the first bend, but only if we were in an orderly pack. So he called us forward and the baying hoard, as predicted, charged (in an orderly manner of course) toward the first bend, turned the corner and commenced the sprint up the first hill… I didn’t hear the Big Horn!

I got to the top of the hill in about 5th or 6th place right on Stevie’s back wheel, but I couldn’t live with the fierce pace and they soon eased away. Into the first section of singletrack, I caught a root badly and was on the ground before I knew it… the guy behind me nearly rode over the top of me. I’d done a good job in blocking the track so it didn’t cost me any places.

That bit of downhill through the trees nearly caught me out.  Whilst it was fine in practice, hitting it at race-pace was bit different.  I thought I’d just lift the front a touch before I hit the logs, but got it totally wrong. Launching it off the ramp, it landed front wheel first and rolled on the pivot point. Looking vertically down at the front axle, I had enough time to think that this could well the end of my season! Miraculously, instead of continuing over the top, the back wheel came down… luck boy!

From the point that we hit the slippery hill, I just started going backwards. At this same point on the second lap, a voice from behind shouted “JB, what you doing back here? You’d better get a move-on Munro’s not far behind!” Apparently at this I shot-off like a frightened deer. It was enough to hold them off for lap 3, but again, at the same point on lap 4… the voice of Munro boomed out from behind “Booookaan… I can see you!!!”, the boys were storming, and to make matters worse they were both Singlespeed (only one gear). Now I confess I might have decided at that I’d rather die than concede another place, and it did indeed feel like I was about to expire but held-on to finish 19th with Martin and PostieRich line astern in 20th and 21st respectively. Postie’s secret training is paying off… as I said right back at the start of this year… you should never write-off The Postie!!!

The good news in all of this is that my knee held-up ok and whilst it needs to stay in intensive care this week, I’m a bit more hopeful for this weekend. I’m strugging to believe we are here already, a year of preparation is over and it’s the big race on Saturday. Have I prepared well? Am I ready?... No idea, tell you next week when I eventually get out of bed!


Photos courtesy of Rob Scothern

No comments:

Post a Comment