Friday 21 September 2012

Oi Legs... Shut-it!!!

Montane Kielder 100, the only 100 mile (one lap) mountain bike race in the UK and I suspect could/should be lauded as one of the hardest MTB races in the world!?


Ok, I admit I'd been taking this one seriously, even taking a week off work to concentrate on getting a solid block of training in. So there had to be some objectives, beat 9hrs (which would mean taking 30mins off last year's time), and put-in a solid performance for the Team at Go Run and Ride who I was really chuffed to be riding for at this event.

Everything about this race is tough and lining up on a cold morning for a 6:30am start is I guess just part of the fun! The competition was as strong as ever with South African National Champion and World Cup racer Rourke Croeser, Giles Drake, Tim Dunford and Ben Thomas there to battle it out for the overall title. Meanwhile, the Vets Race would be fought out between Rich Rothwell, Ant White, Adrian Lawrence, Rhys Lodwick and me (it would seem).


A few miles behind the lead-out van had to suffice as a warm-up before the race kicked-off for real. Rich Rothwell set a strong pace at the front so it didn't take long for the lead group to thin-out to a few riders before hitting the first bit of singletrack after 2 or 3 miles.
I guess a combination of it being a bit cold and no real warm-up meant that after only 10 miles my legs started cramping. You know your in for a long day when you find yourself in a dark place 10 miles into a 100 mile race, but suffering is what I’m good at so best just get-on with it then!

Lee and Dave were manning the 1st Tech station and had a bottle for me, but I hadn't drunk enough to take it, another mistake! The cramp was getting worse, and there was a point when both Quads and Hamstrings had gone at the same time… That initiated a bout of shouting and maybe a wee bit of swearing!

Matt had some fresh bottles for me at the next tech station around 40miles and rightly gave me a good-old rollicking for not drinking enough...

This year, the introduction of the Kielder 50 presented another challenge. At 50 miles you’ve got the choice of straight-on for an early bath, tea and cake, or turn left for another 50 miles of err fun! I think that is the closest I've come to "packing"... But quitting isn't really me, so my legs were just going to have to shut-up. Rhys was back there somewhere motivated by a promise of free beer 'til Christmas if he beat me!

Actually, when my legs were working they were working quite well and the periods of cramp were getting further apart. Finally I hit a sweetspot around the 65 mile point, and the two lads that I'd been struggling to shed finally disappeared.

Lee and Dave sprung into action as I approached the final feed/tech station at 80miles and what a welcome sight they were! Bottles replaced, chain lubed and away quickly.

I did have a little plan to turn myself inside out for the last 10 but I'd being doing that from the start and there wasn't much left to give, the 9hour target wasn't going to happen this year.

The finish was a very welcome sight and great to see Lizzie, Matt and Rich Munro waiting there to cheer me in at 9hrs12mins and 4th Male Vet (23rd overall).

Tim Dunford took the overall title this year, with Giles 2nd and Rourke 3rd. The Vets Title was won for the 2nd year by Rich Rothwell with Adrian 2nd and Ant 3rd.

Full Results Here

A big thanks to Matt, Lee & Dave at Go Run and Ride for looking after me so well on the day, Lizzie for generally keeping me and my legs in decent shape www.vivifymassagetherapy.co.uk (sorry love but you've got some damage to repair!) and to Rhys, who's always there to keep me honest… he looked as fresh as a daisy at the finish, annoying!

I should also say big thanks to Sarah & Paul and the team at SIP Events for putting on such a great and well organised event, it gets better every year and the course marking is the best, so good even I couldnt get lost!!

So there are only about 8 of us that have completed 4 out of 4 Kielder 100s... I guess i'm going to have to make it 5...

Photos courtesy of Joolze Dymond

No comments:

Post a Comment