Friday 8 July 2011

Mayhem...

Its all getting a bit last minute.com but we are almost ready to hit the road to the Alps this coming Wednesday.
Its been a dramatic few weeks. I turned-up at Mayhem to ride in the Veterans Team for Cycleshack to find that the rest of the team couldn't turn-up till much later, or couldn't turn up at all. A very quick reshuffle of the teams and Matt Williams joined me and between us held it together till 7pm when Matt Barratt arrived at that point we were still in 3rd place. I was so relieved to hand over to Matt B and then Ian Wright so I could get some food and a rest.
Ian is struggling with an injury so he was a limited resource that we had to use sparingly and strategically (not that its slowing him down much). By the wee small hours we had moved up to 2nd place and the battle for 1st truly began.
At 4am we were 3mins behind, but a dreadful lap from me followed by a change-over cock-up dropped us to 15mins.
At 8am I went out for the 8th and last time and put-in my 2nd fastest lap of the race at 1hr 1min, but then the real boys went for it with Matt B and Ian putting in two stunning sub-54min laps.
Matt Williams was last man out, this was his 8th lap also and he utterly buried himself with a 54min lap. I'm sure I detected murderous look in his eye when I announced that we'd won, with 10mins to spare, fortunately he could barely stand at that point!
A great result and a real kick in the pants for me finding that I was the slowest man on the team... Not used to that these days! Just going to have to get quicker then.

No comments:

Post a Comment