Sunday 17 July 2011

Transalp Stage 2 - Team Zipvit Sport - Report

Climbing way to hell and back! On todays menu, a shorter day at 69km, the highest point of the race at 2296m and a mere 2900m of climbing over 3 big hills.

It was properly hot this morning and the 1st of the hills was right from the off and a steady hour and a bit to the top.

The longest climb of the day was next, just over 10km long and 1000m of up up up and more up!

Stevie was having a bad day, struggling with the pace from the start this 2nd climb really got to him, perhaps it was a bit of altitude, perhaps (probably) a bit of dehydration from yesterday, but he was suffering. Now I've noticed that one of the first signs that Stevie is starting to suffer, is when he stops shouting "Alright are ya" to any girl that happens to be near... He'd gone quite pretty quick today!

The climb was a killer and I was wishing for a triple chainset, the 2x10 whilst ok, was just that bit too long to push Steve although I did try a bit.

The descent was mental, more 45mph gravel with hairpin bends... More of Harry's braking technique coming to the fore!

A brief stop at the feed station before the last climb and I'd been taking this one a bit less seriously, its not that big... Err but yes it was as it zigzaged up and up and up.

The reward for all of the hard work was 20km of the most awesome screaming downhill. Some really steep gravel to begin with, then onto narrow twisty tarmac and speeds hitting 50mph, overtaking cars and motorbikes all the way down to the valley floor.

The last 5km was flat but into a headwind, Steve glued to my back wheel I tried to bang this out as hard as I could. To finish in 5hrs 01min and 47th for the stage. We're now lying 47th overall.

I broke a front spoke today, and typically my super new Easton wheel has a type of nipple that's different to everyone else... And of course as nothing is ever simple... I'm going to have to ride my spare bike, whilst I do love the S-Works hardtail, I can't help thinking that it'll be fab on the 35km of up, but not so good on the 65km of down!

Its going to be cold and wet tomorrow... A scotsmans speciality, need to make sure "Bird Bones" is properly dressed! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment